Force at Tacoma Stars Reserves Recap

Force at Tacoma Stars Reserves Recap

November 11th, 2017

The Force were scheduled to start the season on the road at the Tacoma Stars Reserves.  The battle between these two teams goes back amost a decade to when both teams had different names.  The games haven't always been close, but they have always been intense and hard fought to the end.

The last time the Force visited Tacoma, they found themselves down 3-1 at halftime before GK Lewis "King Lewy" Watson posted a shutout in the second half and the Force scored 3 goals unanswered to crome from behind to win 4-3.

This year was more of the same.  The Force scored first through Leo Potts just over a minute into the game and things looked positive from the start.  Both teams battled hard and it was like watching a chess match with living pieces.  The Stars pushed hard at the end of the first quarter and managed to tie it up. 

In the second quarter, it was more of the same. both teams holding equal share of the possession, equal share of the chances, equal share of the shots and amazing defense on both ends before Tacoma took the lead with 5 minutes to go in the half.

In the third quarter, a momentary defensive lapse gave the Stars a 3-1 lead on a quick break the other way.  The Force had chances but unfortunately Stars keeper Aaron Anderson was bigger than the goal most of the night.

Enter the 4th quarter.  The Force dropped another goal behind when a forward smashed through Force Keeper Brent Ricigliano leaving an empty net for the ball to fly into.  The officials deemed it incidental contact and the Force were in a big hole now.  A few minutes later, the Stars received their 6th foul on what appeared to be a slide tackle, putting the Force on the power play.  Izzy De Luna slammed home a goal with a little over 8 minutes to play.  Unfortunately, the Stars pulled that one back just a minute later before the Force would grab the final goal of the match through Alejandro Hernandez.  The 19 year old, getting his first goal of many to come.  The final score ended Stars 5, Force 3.

A special thanks to the young players from Harbor Soccer Club that joined the boys on the road as player escorts.  David Meherg was your Cervesa Modelo Man of the Match, anchoring the "Man Down" squad and helping to kill off 4 consecutive penalties without a goal against and making 9 blocked shots in the process.